Monday, January 21, 2013

SPOTLIGHT - Carol Dawson, Yukiko Meldrum, JaNae Anderson

Carol Dawson

My name is Carol Dawson.  I was born July 22nd in Los Angeles California.  I am the oldest of 7, with 4 sisters and 2 brothers.  My Dad loved the water, boats, and camping, so that is where we spent alot of our weekends.  I join the church in 1977 with my parents.  

When I was 14 we moved to Roy, Utah.  I meet my Husband the end of our senior year of High School at Lagoon.  We were married in 1990.  We have 2 wonderful children.  Jonathon who is 20 and currently serving a mission in Orlando Florida.  He will be returning home this July!  Rebecca ( Becca) is 17 and currently a senior in High School.  She is interested in studying to become a Veterinarian.  She loves animals and volunteers at the Naperville Humane Society twice a week.  

Troy and I moved to Illinois the fall of 1993 after he graduated from Utah State.  He worked for Fermilab in Batavia for 18 years, now works from home for Red Hat, Inc.  While Troy was working at Fermilab, he had opportunities to travel to different places and countries.  I was able to accompany him on 2 of those trips.  Once to Rome, Italy and Geneva, Switzerland.  I would love to go back and visit both places, because there is never enough time to see it all!

I had worked as a Dental Assistant until we moved here to Illinois, and have been a stay at home mom since then.  I enjoy volunteering in the schools, reading, traveling with family, and keeping up with the kids activities.

Yukiko Meldrum

What is your full name?  Yukiko Meldrum

Where were you born?  Where did you grow up?  Saitama (next to Tokyo), Japan


How many brothers and sisters do you have?  Where do you fit in?  Oldest/youngest?  I have two younger sisters.  I am the oldest.


If you have children, how many?  Names and ages.  If not at home, where are they living?  I have two children.  Meg is 14, Taka is 10 and we have a big dog named Karl.


What are some of the different places you have lived? Osaka, Japan, Ypsilanti (next to Ann Arbor), Michigan


Your favorite color? Dark red, white, blue and earthy colors


Your favorite food? Oh, there is so many.  I love seafood, pasta, rice, vegetable and ice cream.


What are some things that you enjoy doing? Not so great anymore, but I like playing the piano, being outdoor (especially in water when it is warm), traveling, eating, Sudoku and chatting with friends


Share one of your most embarrassing moments.  I have several, but don’t know which one to share.


Share something about you that no one would know about?  I really wanted to get trained to be a synchronized swimmer when I was in 5th grade, but my mom objected.  She thought sticking the legs up in public is not modest.


Share a dream you have, something you would like to see or do some day.  Visiting Grand Canyon, going to Italy and Scotland, and would love to learn how to scuba dive.


Name a book or movie that best describes your life. I am not sure, but my favorite book is Poison Wood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.  


Who is your favorite Latter-day prophet and why?  I like President Hinckley for his personality and for being so down to earth, President Kimball for being the president when I was baptized and the first president I saw in person, and President Grant for being clear and for introducing the gospel to Japan.


What type of car do you drive?  Toyota


If you are employed, where? At home, but I would love to work part time.


Did you play sports/musical instruments/drama/other activities in school?  Drama, sign language (Japanese version), Aikido (martial arts)


What was your last out of state trip? To Michigan for a nephew’s baptism


How long have you lived at your current address? Almost 5 years


JaNae Anderson






What is your full name?  JaNae Christensen Anderson

Where were you born?  Where did you grow up?  Payson, Utah.  I grew up in Mapleton, Utah until I was 11 and then Kanosh, Utah.


How many brothers and sisters do you have?  Where do you fit in?  Oldest/youngest?  There are 5 children in my family, 2 boys and 3 girls.  I am 2nd to the oldest, but the first daughter, so really, I was the one in charge. ;)


If you have children, how many?  Names and ages.  If not at home, where are they living?  I have two children and one coming in March.  Cambrie is our oldest.  She will be 5 next month.  Corbin is 2 1/2.


What are some of the different places you have lived?  Utah, Wisconsin (briefly), and Illinois


Your favorite color? My favorite it hot pink, but I love all bright colors


Your favorite food? I could hardly pick a favorite child! :)  I love food that's based around the holidays and seasons...in the fall I love anything pumpkin or apple, in the spring, I love fruit...just depends on the season. 


What are some things that you enjoy doing?  I love to work with my hands.  I love to be crafty...paper crafting, crocheting, cake decorating, sewing...anything like that.  I LOVE to bake.  I enjoy reading, being outdoors, camping, hiking, playing the piano...


Share one of your most embarrassing moments.  When I was in high school I was on the dance team, and we often performed during halftime at basketball games.  On one particular night, we had performed a routine where my costume composed of red, skin-tight leather, red tights, red leather boots, and a blond wig, topped off with hot red lip-stick.  I looked pretty ridiculous.  After the game, I went out to my car, but my car wouldn't start.  This was no surprise to me and happened often, and the way I would solve the problem was by hitting the battery cables with a wrench.  The cable connection was a bit corroded, so a little banging around usually did the trick.  This night, I happened to be parked right next to the visiting basketball team's bus.  While I was attempting to start my car, their entire basketball team formed a semi-circle around my car as their coaches asked if they could help.  In all my blond glory I told them I knew what I was doing as they continued to watch me pound away at my battery cables.  Much to my horror, when I tried to start the car, it wouldn't start.  When I started to bang again on my engine, the coaches again asked if they could help which I kindly declined.  Much to my relief and their disbelief, my car immediately started up.  I'm sure my face was the same shade as my costume, as I sped quickly away.  I will never forget the embarrassment I felt!   


Share something about you that no one would know about?  I know a few people already know this, but when I was 16, I was driving home from work late at night.  It was a dark, rainy night, and my car was hydroplaning a bit.  I was very focused on avoiding large puddles that I failed to notice a large black cow in the road.  I slammed on my brakes a little too late.  I hit the cow, which rolled on top of my car and then down the side.  Fortunately, I was okay, and as it was a country road, and no one was around, I drove my smashed car home.  The worst part was that the whole story was in the community newspaper the following week!


Share a dream you have, something you would like to see or do some day.  I want to visit Hawaii, learn to scuba dive, and be a Disney character at Disneyland - just for a day. :)  


What type of car do you drive?  Toyota Camry


If you are employed, where? At home.  YAY.


Did you play sports/musical instruments/drama/other activities in school?  As I already mentioned, I was on the dance team.  I also ran in track and played the piano.


What was your last out of state trip? To Utah for Christmas


How long have you lived at your current address? 3 years, but have lived in Naperville for 6

No comments: